9 Awesome Infographics About Solar Energy In Texas
Posted in Industry News by Alba Energy
The state of Texas has long been known for its robust energy resources. While oil and natural gas continue to power the state, solar energy in Texas is growing at an exponential rate, saving consumers thousands of dollars and providing rich, rewarding jobs that improve both the environment and the economy.
Below are 9 awesome infographics about solar energy in Texas!
1) The cost of solar panels has decreased 99% from 1977 to now, from over $76/W (dollars per watt) to just 61 cents/W in 2014.
2) As a result, the amount of energy in Texas generated from renewable sources like solar (and wind) has increased rapidly over time.
Renewable energy generation in Texas from wind, solar, and geothermal sources increased by 136% since 2008.
3) As the Texas solar industry has increased in scale and capabilities, the cost to generate energy from solar power plants (“solar farms”) has decreased too.
For example, in 2008 Austin Energy contracted to purchase the output of a 30 megawatt (MW) solar project at a price of 16 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh). In 2015, the utility is receiving bids for a 600 MW project, 20x larger, at less than 4 cents per kWh!
4) As a result, ERCOT, the grid operator who controls the delivery of most of the energy in Texas, is projecting HUGE growth in the amount of energy generated from renewable sources in the future.
As much as 35% of the energy generated in Texas could come from solar and wind power plants according to their research.
5) In 2016 the state of Texas ranked sixth in terms of the amount of solar power installed by each state in America with a record 672 megawatts (MW) of installed solar generation capacity in the year – Enough to power 5,800 homes.
Solar analysts expect this number to double by 2020.
6) The 1.2 GW of solar energy currently installed in Texas ranks the state ninth in the country in installed solar capacity.
There is enough solar energy installed in the state to power 137,000 homes.
7) As annual installed solar energy capacity in Texas continues to grow, so too does the number of jobs in the solar industry.
Data from The Solar Foundation shows that as of 2015, the solar industry in Texas employed over 7,000 workers, ranking 6th among all states in America!
8) Texas residents can save A LOT of money through buying or leasing a rooftop solar energy system.
Our friends at Solar Power Rocks created the following infographic which compares the payback from a solar energy investment in Texas.
9) Alba Energy customers can purchase a solar energy system using our $0 Down solar financing program and pay a lower rate than their current utility bill.